Evans 'raped woman in hotel room'

This content is kindly provided from here where it was originally published.

A woman allegedly raped by footballer Ched Evans in a hotel had “no idea what on earth was happening”, a court heard.

The Chesterfield striker denies raping the 19-year-old at a Premier Inn in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, in May 2011.

Mr Evans, 27, was found guilty of rape at Caernarfon Crown Court in 2012, but his conviction was quashed in April.

The prosecution told his retrial at Cardiff Crown Court the woman had been intoxicated and could not have consented to sex, as Mr Evans claims.

Simon Medland QC, prosecuting, said the woman “did not even know Ched Evans was having sex with her” in the hotel on 30 May 2011.

The woman was “very drunk” and believes her drink may have been spiked, Mr Medland said, although not by Mr Evans.

“She was that intoxicated – for whatever reason – that she didn’t really know what on earth was happening,” he added.

“The facts of this case show that she was raped by this young footballer in that room, not that she had consensual sex with him.”

The alleged victim met Mr Evans’s friend and fellow footballer Clayton McDonald at Rhyl’s Zu bar in the early hours of 30 May.

She got a taxi to the Premier Inn with Mr McDonald, where Mr Evans had booked a room.

Mr McDonald, who previously played at Manchester City and Port Vale, telephoned Mr Evans and said: “I’ve got a girl”, Mr Medland told the jury.


About 15 minutes later, Mr Evans arrived at the hotel and got a key to the room. He is then alleged to have raped the woman before “surreptitiously” leaving via the fire exit.

Mr McDonald, who now plays at Redditch United, was acquitted of rape at the original trial in 2012.

During Tuesday’s hearing, the jury – consisting of five men and seven women – was told by the judge, Mrs Justice Nicola Davies, to disregard any previous publicity of the case.

“There has been publicity in respect of these legal proceedings. If you have heard or read about it, that is the proceedings, in the newspaper, television, radio or social media, you must ignore it,” she said.

The case was opened and adjourned for the day and will continue on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *