Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne will return to action ‘within weeks’ according to his agent, despite suffering what looked to be a serious knee injury on Wednesday night.
The Belgian international’s knee buckled from underneath him during the Capital One Cup victory over Everton, and he was stretchered off with significant concern about the seriousness of the issue.
De Bruyne managed to score in the 3-1 win that secured City’s place in the final against Liverpool, but the club have seemingly had their anxious wait for news ended by the latest positive updates.
His agent Patrick de Koster has told Sky Sports that his client was feeling confident and would be playing “within weeks” rather than the initial suggestions which claimed that he would be sidelined for months at least.
Nevertheless, the 24-year-old underwent further tests and scans on Thursday in order to discover the full extent of the issue and the club are expected to announce the results in the coming hours.
It had been suspected that the former Chelsea star had suffered medial ligament damage, with City boss Manuel Pellegrini staying positive after the game.
“I am optimistic he will not be out for the rest of the season. He has been very important to us all season,” he said in his post-match interview.
It remains to be seen whether or not De Koster has made an accurate statement about the Belgian’s prognosis, but City fans will certainly be hoping that the influential star is back sooner rather than later after playing a crucial role for the team so far this season.